Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday 160: Lammas

Lammas blessings this harvest tide to you and those held dear.
Celebrate the grain: eat bread and drink beer.
Show thanks for all you’ve gathered now.
Be happy.


*********

A Happy Lammas to all my readers!

The Pagan celebration of Lammas is the first of three harvest festivals and celebrates the safe gathering in of the grain. I've made the new corn dollies and tonight I'll tie ribbons round them and hang them in the house. Last year's (in the photo) will be burned to release the harvest spirit which has ensured we have had enough to eat for the last 12 months.

There's bread baking at the moment and we'll be drinking beer very soon. (Just as soon as I've tidied up a bit from the dolly making).

For more on (last year's) Lammas see here.
If you want to make your own corn dollies there's instructions here.
But if you want to kow about Sunday 160 you'll need to go and see the Monkey Man.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hee hee hee...when I 1st read your post I was looking for the "llama" in your photo for I surely thought you had misspelled! Thank you for the education, although I must pass on the beer. Very unique post!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi AJ .. I didn't know exactly what Lammas meant - so glad to have a full clarification ..

Your corn dollies are excellent .. I really should give it a go - perhaps next year: following your instructions' link.

I did use corn dollies to hang on my mother's 'Christmas Tree' this year .. and they looked wonderful .. they were sparkled up .. I found them in the Samaritans shop and bashed on the door to get access!! I think they were a bit surprised .. but I'm a person of determination!

Thanks for this .. very interesting .. cheers Hilary

Monkey Man said...

I love pagan celebrations. Thanks for making this one into a Sunday 160.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I could pull off the dolly making, but I could certainly eat a slice of bread and lift a pint.

Brian Miller said...

it is good to remember where our food comes from and our tie to the land....

Sandra Davies said...

Liked the Lammas information and am surprised at how much the knowledge of you making corn dollies has added what I 'know' of you ;-)
I haven't seen the photo - need to go to Internet Explorer for that - but would have enthusiastically joined in the bread and beer