Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday extracts. A hum by Pooh.

"Pooh," said Piglet reproachfully, "haven't you been listening to what Rabbit was saying?"

"I listened, but I had a small piece of fluff in my ear. Could you say it again, please, Rabbit?"

Rabbit never minded saying things again, so he asked where he should begin from; and when Pooh had said from the moment when the fluff got in his ear, and Rabbit had asked when that was, and Pooh had said he didn't know because he hadn't heard properly, Piglet settled it all by saying that what they were trying to do was, they were just trying to think of a way to get the bounces out of Tigger, because however much you liked him, you couldn't deny it, he did bounce.

"Oh, I see," said Pooh.

"There's too much of him," said Rabbit, "that's what it comes to."

Pooh tried to think, and all he could think of was something which didn't help at all. So he hummed it very
quietly to himself.

If Rabbit
Was bigger
And fatter
And stronger,
Or bigger
Than Tigger,
If Tigger was smaller,
Then Tigger's bad habit
Of bouncing at Rabbit
Would matter
No longer,
If Rabbit
Was taller.

"What was Pooh saying?" asked Rabbit. "Any good?"
"No," said Pooh sadly. "No good."

*********

When Tigger arrives in the 100 Acre Wood the rest of the animals decide that he is too bouncy and he must be unbounced for everyone's good. Pooh is a little distracted when it comes to drawing up a plan.

A A Milne has been a favourite since I was very young. Winnie the Pooh appeals to all ages and I have grown more appreciative as I've got older. I've known this hum by heart since I was about seven.

4 comments:

snafu said...

When I was working in retail and we had marketing trainers drag us all off for occasional brainwashing, and one of the definitions of who was middle class given to us, involved being able to quote from A A Milne.
So by your own admission, let it be known to the world that you are middle class and anything you say to the contrary henceforth will be ignored.

MorningAJ said...

I prefer to think of it as meaning I've had a good education. :)

MorningAJ said...

Of course, I can quote it in Latin too.

Quis vult in terra stare.........

Steve Isaak said...

Love Milne's Pooh Corner work. Excellent representation/post of that.