Monday, July 25, 2011

L’Égérie (The Muse)




L’Égérie (The Muse) it said
On a plastic plaque beside the work.
I looked at it (a long time)
But felt no echo in my mind
No similarity with mine.
How could this angular thing inspire?
This flat, red multiple thing
With extra heads, but lacking arms
And charms. (I could not see.)
Perhaps sculptors need a driving force
More pointed (or with razor's edge)
To guide their hands, their hammers
Or their welding torches.
We of the Word need gentler touch.
(I feel.)



I visited the annual sculpture show at Leicester Univerity botanic gardens yesterday and this was one of the works. Called L’Égérie (The Muse) by Laurence Ambrose. I can't see anything like my own muse in this at all. But I guess every muse is dfferent. 



What does everyone else think?

5 comments:

snafu said...

I am not impressed by the sculpture, I am by your verse. The sculpture looks vaguely feminine but does it have two heads and two breasts or one head and one breast? I imagine that it looks different from different angles.

MorningAJ said...

From the right (wrong?) angle it looks like it has four of everything! There are nicer sculptures in the show. I'm planning to post some on the MorningAJ blog over a few days.

Thanks for the comment on the poem!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Anne .. I don't dislike it - but can't say I see why it's called The Muse .. or what it's meant to represent - unless Muse is someone's 'shadow' .. then that explains it .. some models turn to become a fashion designers muse - is where my thoughts are taking me ..

I hope the rest of the sculptures were interesting .. it's an art form I struggle with!

Lovely sunny day you had for it though .. cheers Hilary

Ellie Garratt said...

I agree - your verse is so much more inspiring!

Ellie Garratt

Sandra Davies said...

My muse would have to be solid and curved - Henry Moore or Elizabeth Frink - so I could rest my hand on it and take inspiration from the solidity and smoothness ...