Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Should I or shouldn't I?

When I write (anything really, short stories, novels, poems, press releases, whatever) I tend not to use contractions. You know: shouldn't, won't, I'll etc. But I have a problem. I have an idea going round my head that simply has to be written in first person and that person would never speak in full words. It's just not in his nature! I can hear his voice in my head, telling me the story, or at least setting up the situation so he CAN tell me the story, and he is obviously the kind who uses contractions.

My question is: would that put you off reading something of novel length?

5 comments:

Akelamalu said...

It wouldn't put me off because that's the way I speak.

Brian Miller said...

nope, i would relate well to it.

snafu said...

It never has in the past.

Steve Isaak said...

Nope. =)

Sandra Davies said...

I'd've thought you'd've noticed them being used elsewhere and not recoiled in horror, nowhere near so much as you would from stilted speech.