Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Real small stones

Tumbled stones glitter from baskets on the market stall; quartz, citrine, fluorspar, opalite. Alongside each small cairn is a sign that promises good health and fortune. The rainbow of colours is linked to something called chakras. There is no explanation and I am forced to assume that those who believe in the power of stones will understand the strange word. Creased, pink cards offer good luck and balance from agate; relief from loneliness through dolomite; power over depression from smoky quartz. Hard to choose: do I need jade’s promise of longevity, energy from obsidian, or peridot’s ability to attract wealth? In the end I pick a small, pointed, purple one, because I think it is pretty.

*********
Not a small stone of the literary kind. If you want to read my examples of those click on the tab at the top of the page.

5 comments:

Akelamalu said...

If you're interested in these get a copy of The Crystal Bible, it will tell you all about the properties of them. :)

MorningAJ said...

Actually Akelamalu I sort of just like having them around. I'm not too worried about what they all mean - though my reflexologist is really into it and she'll laugh like mad when she finds out I went and bought myself an amethyst point(and a piece of citrine and some yellow jasper....). No doubt she'll tell me why I chose them.

Sandra Davies said...

Gemstones was one of those things got into briefly when my daughter was young - but I never did find out what they were supposed to be about - like you, I just liked them for themselves.

By the way - I came here to read this post and got sidelined by the 'Strictly Writing' Blog in your RH column - spent the past half hour or so browsing there - wonderfully informative!

snafu said...

Owning a stone is good for you? Silicon is a large component of almost all rocks, so most people have a certain amount of rock about their person if they carry a mobile phone with them, because crystalline silicon is what the active electronic parts are made from. Does this count? Silicon is quite pretty, being a shiny silvery grey substance.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Anne .. I love the basket of stones - so pretty .. I have some from my time in South Africa .. and love them .. also wear odd ones ..

One day I shall find out about the Chakras .. it'll be interesting to hear what your reflexologist says about your choices ..

Cheers - Hilary