Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Reading the classics

Some time ago I made a pledge to read more classics this year. I've not been reading as much of anything as I'd like to but I have managed to get a few things onto my list. I've just finished The Great Gatsby, which is something I've intended to read for a while. Interesting storyline and the setting on Long Island was fascinating because I'd just finished reading a modern book called Murder Most Frothy (Cleo Coyle), which is set in almost the same place.

I have also chalked up a Dickens short book called A Message from the Sea, which was interesting, if only for the odd dialect that took a bit of translating. It came with my e-reader.

The orignal idea was to get through 12 classics this year, but I can't see that happening unless I try harder. I've got lots of other things I want to get through as well! I'm currently reading Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey, which is shaping up very well.

6 comments:

Sandra Davies said...

This feeling that one 'ought' to read the classics is an odd one isn't it? There's hundreds I've never read, and when I read good, relevant modern stuff I wonder why classics are seen as such.
I finished reading A.L.Kennedy's 'Day' yesterday - wonderfully written and impressive in it ability to create a fully-fledged character.

Paula RC said...

I have had a go at reading the classics too. Mainly because I read 1001 Books you must read before you Die
I love Three men in a bed by Jerome K. Jerome Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne left me feeling nonplus, I think in its time it was a very exciting book. another must read book I tried was To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf I found this one to be very heavy going.
I very much enjoy reading little known writers because you can make some amazing discovery like Louise Brindley and her book, A Presence in her Life. Her characters are wonderful

joanne fox said...

I love Gatsby. It was one of my favourite novels during my teens, and every so often I go back to it again. Like you I do intend to read more classics, but probably only manage a couple a year.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Anne .. I know sitting and actually saying I'm going to read .. is not a luxury that comes too often .. I'd love to be able to read more books .. and now I've brought my mother's books here - I have even more to go through!

A blogger said .. just pick the book up and go through it .. you'll remember bits - the thing is to get to the end .. and another blogger said create a mind map from your book .. I thought when I did sit down I might try those two thoughts together ..

Also I think I'd quite like to read a synopsis of each classic I start - so I can follow along and have some idea in advance - study guides here I come!!

Cheers Hilary

Michael G-G said...

Good for you! I had a similar wistful notion a year or two ago, but made the fatal mistake of starting with Plato's Republic. (In translation, I hasten to add.)

All it managed to do was confirm my belief that I am not an intellectual.

ChrisJ said...

Oh AJ it's you! I should have known. I set myself that task of reading as many classics as I could. It was fascinating, and enlightening. I've just finished re-reading South Riding and find I have so much more inight now. I'd love to be able to sit down and discuss with you all the characters and philosophies of this book. I bet we could have a grand old debate!