Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Step away from the computer......

It's official - too much computer use damages kids' ability to read.

OK so the research concentrated on 9-10 year olds and they found the link in Sweden and the US but couldn't confirm it in similar studies in Hungary and Italy, but it's still pretty scary.

"Our study shows that the entry of computers into the home has contributed to changing children's habits in such a manner that their reading does not develop to the same extent as previously. By comparing countries over time we can see a negative correlation between change in reading achievement and change in spare time computer habits which indicates that reading ability falls as leisure use of computers increases," says lead researcher Monica Rosén.

A report of the study can be found here if you'd like to know more.

Or maybe you should switch off your computer and go read a book! 

2 comments:

Paula RC said...

I was about to say I would have thought it would have improved their reading and spelling, but than I thought.

Stop thinking like an adult and remember kids play games not write blogs.... Oh, silly me!

Paula RC said...

Sorry I can't spell! it should have read; but then I thought; lol and I don't even like computer games.