Tuesday, August 30, 2011

To my depression

You're not going to win.

You might think you'll always be there, and perhaps you will, but you can not beat me. You are small enough to fit inside my head so you cannot take over my life. You can distort my thoughts, you can make me believe that lies are true, but I know what you are trying to do and you Will...  Not... Triumph.

I am aware of you. I am better than you. I can beat you.

You are the black dog and a dog can be trained.

So sit.
Stay.
Roll over.
Play dead.

4 comments:

snafu said...

When you are wondering how long it will hurt if you drive into the concrete support of the motorway bridge at 90, or counting out the pills, this post is good advice. But nothing helps like loyal friends and family and funnily enough, when I went through a spell like that, my most loyal friend was a black dog. One of those Daftasabrush breeds who just love people. Part Border Collie and part black Labrador and all heart. Sadly long gone to that big walkies in the sky, but a huge help to me when I needed her.

MorningAJ said...

Thanks Snafu. The black dog is what Churchill called his depression (and a phrase that Claire Rayner used too) and I'm sharing the metaphor temporarily for creative purposes only.

I'm surrounded by black cats who are very loving. (You can't train them though. And I suspect the love is mainly to do with food!)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Anne .. so difficult .. but black cats curled up fully asleep purring away, claw at the cockles of our heart will keep us grounded - especially their demand for food!! Cheers .. black dog .. do as you're told stay at bay and well over the hill out of sight .. Hilary

Abhishek said...

Combating depression can be kind of hard!!

thoughtful post!! better say thought provoking!!

with warm regards
Another Author