Friday, March 25, 2011

Oh my! What have I done?

I swear I fought it. I wasn't going to do this. But I've fallen for it. After trying to track down an old book online and finding that it was no longer available in print I realised that the only way forward was electronic.

I promise I didn't mean to. I thought I'd never get used to the idea of reading anything but a block of printed paper in my hand. Not so. I have been seduced by a lightweight (about the same as a bag of barleysugars) shiny, silver siren and promises of free books. FREE BOOKS!

Yes folks, I can now hold in my hand around 100 (because I haven't uploaded any more yet) classics. I have the complete works of Dickens, ditto for Oscar Wilde, some Austen, Brontës, poetry, plays, and novels I haven't even heard of - let alone read!

And it's easy. So easy to read from the machine. A touch of my finger turns the pages and it feels so good.
I have crossed to the dark side

4 comments:

snafu said...

What no comments?
New gadgets are nice, but I wonder how long before some time in the near future, either you suddenly remember you have one but rarely use it or the next version has come out and it is soooo much better you just have to buy;)

MorningAJ said...

I've just had to drive a seventy mile round trip to pick up a book I ordered online because the courier won't deliver outside normal office hours. I don't see me ever forgetting I've got it... but it might need some accessories and there's bound to be a newer, shinier version out soon! :)

snafu said...

I sympathise about the book collection situation, and I can quite see it is much more convenient to be able to download.

Akelamalu said...

I still like the feel of a book in my hand too much to go over to the dark side. ;)