Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday extracts. Ever so portant

Lines and Squares

Whenever I walk in a London street,

I'm ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, "Bears,
Just look how I'm walking in all the squares!"


And the little bears growl to each other, "He's mine,
As soon as he's silly and steps on a line."
And some of the bigger bears try to pretend
That they came round the corner to look for a friend;
And they try to pretend that nobody cares
Whether you walk on the lines or squares.
But only the sillies believe their talk;
It's ever so portant how you walk.
And it's ever so jolly to call out, "Bears,
Just watch me walking in all the squares!"

A A Milne. When We Were Very Young. 1924

*********

More A A Milne. Because, as Pooh would say: "It's that sort of day."
The picture is one of E H Shepard's preparatory drawings for the illustration that went with the poem.

3 comments:

Sandra Davies said...

New to me, although I knew the rule.

snafu said...

That takes me back a few years. Around ages six to eight, I was laways a little worried about those bears, you never knew when they would leap out of hiding and what was their position on fractures in the stones? Did it have to be a join or did a cracked paving stone count? These were impoirtant questions.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Anne .. I had no idea the poem referred to the game, or vice versa - what a great piece of fun verse .. no wonder AA Milne is such a great favourite ..

Cheers and I love reading it .. Hilary