Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Spelunking

"I just don't understand the attraction. Why would you travel half way around the world, to a beautiful country, then spend your time underground?" It was clear that my opinion depressed her.

"Because it's beautiful underground too," she said, with a hint of wistfulness and her eyes not quite focussed, as though she was already there. "Besides, it's the largest known cave in the world."

"But underground is just rocks. Nothing but rocks."

"It has the tallest known stalagmites in the world too."

"So they're big rocks."

She huffed at me and brought her focus back to give me a hard stare. "I suppose there's no point in telling you there's an underground river as well?"

I shook my head. I was never going to feel her attraction to caves and caving. It's not that I don't like rocks and rivers. I'm actually fond of limestone country. But I think it's much better in sunshine.

***********

This has been written in response to a challenge at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads
It reminded me of a conversation I had several years ago with a college friend who spent a lot of spare time potholing.  Of course, she was only planning to go to Derbyshire, not Vietnam, but the idea is the same.

I'm not sure whether I was supposed to write poetry. But this is what the Muse brought.

4 comments:

Archer's Bones said...

Mine wasn't poetry either.
Your piece has a certain poetic rhythm, though, and it captures a feeling beyond the words it uses.

snafu said...

Good muse. Does it reflect a personal view? I may be going caving in South Dakota next year, not proper Spelunking, but I am rather looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

I would go spelunking with her.

I could also see taking this muse further.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Anne - if you have a passion you will experience what you can, I guess.

It's not for me - though I love geological rocks .. and the caves in South Africa were amazing ... Okavango Caves I visited with my mother .. she was happy to explore, I went as far as I wanted and then said enough was enough .. not sure if she went on. But they are magical ...

Under our feet lie some amazing things - gosh you've reminded me of a post I could post - fi you see what I mean!!

Cheers Hilary